Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Eye Dilemma

"Can you see your eyes move when you look in the mirror?" my man asked me.

I thought he was referring to my lazy eye. I was born with crossed eyes and had surgery when I was one year old to correct them. Now when I am tired or have a headache one of my eyes will drift slightly. I thought he was asking me if I could see that an eye was not tracking when I looked in the mirror.

"Yes," I said.

"I've always wanted to be able to see my eyes move when I look in the mirror," he said, looking much more excited than I thought was warranted. "I've tried to. I move my eyes back and forth, but I can't see them moving. I have to keep my eyes still and turn my head from side to side." He demonstrated by keeping his eyes fixed on me and turning his head back and forth. "Then I thought, I bet Analei can see her eyes move!"

I realized I had no idea what he was talking about. It certainly wasn't my lazy eye.

"Wait. What?" I said.

"Can you see your eyes move when you look in the mirror?" he repeated.

"Uhhh...I don't know. I've never tried," I answered. "I thought you were asking if I could see my lazy eye."

"No," he said, slightly disappointed.

A while later I went upstairs to use the restroom. As I was washing up I glanced at myself in the mirror. And then I started to wonder, could I see my eyes move? Feeling a little silly, I looked left and right while keeping my nose pointed at the mirror. Nope, I couldn't see my eyes move. Then I stared at the mirror and turned my head from side to side. That time I was able to watch my eyes slide back and forth in their sockets.

I went downstairs and said to my man, "Just for your information, I cannot see my eyes move when I look in the mirror." And then I added, "I can't believe I just tried that."

My man grinned at me.

Now I bet you are going to try it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment